God's Plan for Marriage...
Catholics believe that the sacrament of marriage (also called "Holy Matrimony") comes as a gift from the hand of God. In a permissive culture, the Catholic vision of marriage is countercultural: it is rooted in Sacred Scripture and is expressed in the teachings and practices of the Church. It has these main elements:
- Marriage unites a couple in faithful and mutual love
- Marriage opens a couple to giving life
- Marriage is a way to respond to God’s call to holiness
- Marriage calls the couple to be a sign of Christ’s love in the world
There are some steps to help you prepare for your wedding and to live the vocation of marriage.
- Contact your parish and meet with a priest or deacon to begin the process
- Couple pre-marital inventory
- Complete a Marriage Preparation program
- Attend Fertility Awareness or NFP introduction
- Make a good confession prior to your "I do"
- Final meeting with priest or deacon to prepare the liturgy
For information on the Archdiocesan Marriage Prep Program, Transformed In Love, click here.